This memorial was erected and has a meaningful reason for its existence, however not many notice its presence, let alone how it came into being. In fact, not many who visit it know of its significance.
In neo-classical style, this pavilion was a VIP stand for sports played on the field. It is domed, supported by eight columns in octagonal form. The overall design is like a European gazebo but in thinner proportion and in details it’s quite eclectic. The columns are of the Roman-Tuscan type while the roof ornaments are a mix of Europeanised Mughal Indian motifs (a).
The King George V Pavilion was completed around the month of May of 1935. Built by the Ceylonese Community (current day Sri Lanka) as a memorial to commemorate the Silver Jubilee (25 years) of King George V’s rule of Great Britain as well as his reign over India, the anniversary of his majesty’s rule was an event celebrated annually on 6th of May.
The Pavilion itself has 7 pillars which supports the roof. Presently, the Pavilion is mostly used by visitors who converged on this field for their daily exercise and walk.
The origins of the Ceylonese Community can be put down to the arrival of two separate divisions of ‘Ceylon Pioneers’, who at that time was brought into the Federated Malay States by then British Residen Sir Hugh Low. They were to be responsible for the the Port Weld to Taiping Railway Line in 1883. Incidentally, the Port Weld to Taiping Railway Line was the first ever railway infrastructure to be built here.
Of the two divisions, the first consisted of 100 Ceylonese and divided into two separate units, namely ‘A Unit’ and ‘B Unit’, with a Sargeant being the man in charge of the entire community, under the commanding officer John Trump who served between 1st of Mey 1883 to 31st December 1885.
In Teluk Anson, the Ceylonese Community was also mobilised to build the Tapah Road to Teluk Anson Railway Line, although some within the community also worked as farmers and contractors. One such person was no other than Weeratunge Edward Perera, a Ceylonese who had contributed very much to the development of Teluk Intan. He was also responsible for saving many from the savagery of war inflicted upon by the invading Japanese forces. His direct involvement in building still stands today, in the form of the Teacher’s Cooperative Housing building.
Another well known Ceylonese who served the community well is S.Sabapathy who at that period was the Assistant Engineer of the Public Works Department. The Department was responsible in the erection of the Teluk Anson Water Tower working with Leong Choon Cheong, the architect who had desgined the tower. In later years, the tower would lean due to the ground, thus inadvertently creating the National Heritage Monument of the leaning tower of Teluk Intan.
After a year on completion of the King George V Pabilion, a Tamil Church was added in the vicinity, directly opposite the memorial in 1936, and served the Christian community up to the present day.
a. Conversations with architectural historian Nadge Ariffin, Kuala Lumpur.
- Kisah Penyelamat Teluk Intan Semasa Perang Dunia Kedua, orangperak.com
- Pavilion Memorial Di Teluk Intan Yang Semakin Dilupakan, orangperak.com
- HISTORY – George V Memorial, blog telukansonchildhood
- Majlis Perbandaran Teluk Intan official website
- Written by Iskandar Zulqarnain on April 2019 and translated by Tony Lew